Saturday, April 17, 2010

blog #68 What influences my calorie needs?

•Factors that influence calorie needs:
–Body Weight
–Growth(from child to adult or building muscle/pregnancy)
–Sleep/wake cycle
Temperature and climate  
–Physical activity  
–Metabolic response to food
–Health status

I want to focus on “temperature and climate” because as summer approaches, our food cravings change substantially. I'll cover the others in future blog posts, but today I want to focus on this issue. Rather than filling up on unhealthy things, you should take advantage of all the fruits (like berries in season., We In Summer we are presented with a multitude of options to both satiate our hunger and add variety to our diets. I recommend stocking up on fresh fruits and vegetables regularly.

Organic foods are a good option, but as Registered Dietitian Keri Gans says, “It’s better to eat fruits in general even if they are not organic, than to not eat them at all.”

I agree with Keri. Eat your fruits and veggies, even if they are not organic! (It’s more important to make sure to wash your produce in running water, and eat it when it’s fresh!)

No comments: