Friday, August 13, 2010

blog #97 Skinny girl Margarita

Who doesn’t love a margarita?
I know that I do. But I don’t prefer the calories that usually come with the decadent cocktail. Unless it’s a special occasion, I try to keep my cocktails and beverage consumption low-cal. Read my other cocktail post

I was at a food-writing workshop offered at CUNY’s school of journalism this week, and the professor talked about the beverage craze, and how being a connoisseur of wine or cocktails is a new trend. Mixology is on the rise.  After all look how popular drinks such as cosmos and martinis have become?

I saw an interview this week with the very popular Bethenny Frankel from the Real Housewives of NYC. She has a health and fitness section on her site as well as a book out. Here is a tip about choosing lower calorie wines:


How To Switch Wines
"Like most women, I used to be a chardonnay person.  A great way to lighten things up is to switch to a pinot grigio or a sauvignon blanc.  These are lighter, less sweet wines that lend themselves to drinking more slowly; they’re less sugary and seem to lead to less of a hangover."


Although Bethenny offers a slew of low-calorie cocktail recipes (such as Lychee Martinis, Skinnygirl Big Apple, Skinnygirl American “Virgin,” Belmont Skinnygirl, Skinnygirl Gin Julep ), the Skinnygirl Margarita is really popular, and it has only 100 calories. 


Skinnygirl Margarita recipe:

2 oz of Clear Premium Tequila (count 1, 2 while you pour, no need for measuring)
Tiny splash of Orange Liquor
Juice of 4 Fresh Lime Wedges

To serve on the rocks, combine all ingredients over a glass of ice and garnish with a lime wedge.

No comments: