Tuesday, August 17, 2010

blog #98 Healthier pesto recipes


I stumbled across an article that mentioned something that stuck with me:

“Adjust the ingredients to your taste”

I’m a huge fan of this philosophy and I make soups with no recipe at all — I like to throw in a little bit of this and a little bit of whatever from my refrigerator.

Pesto is a sauce made from basil. Basil extract has been reported to have antioxidant activity. 



Generally, pesto includes:

Basil
Salt
Olive oil
Pine nuts
Cheese (parmesean)
Garlic


Check out this typical recipe:


I liked this article that suggests altering pesto to your needs:

This recipe calls for:
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano or Romano cheese
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste


My recipe doesn’t include garlic or cheese, and instead of pine nuts I used almonds. Why not? It tastes just as good and I saved money on the nuts (pine nuts are pricy) and calories on the cheese.



It’s really hard to estimate how many calories are in pesto you get at a restaurant because it depends what it’s made with and mostly how much oil is used. Since the oil content is unknown when dining out, perhaps opting out of pesto as a topping is a good option.

Less oil, elimination of cheese, and less nuts can yield a lower calorie sauce.

Remember a little pesto goes a long way. Enjoy.

What I like pesto on/in:
Eggs/omelet
Soups
Salads (instead of dressing)
Rice or whole grain noodles
Quinoa
Steamed veggies like broccoli or tomatoes

Because pesto is made from simple chopping or pureeing ingredients together, it is considered a “raw food.”

2 comments:

nansuepunkintoo@yahoo.com said...

I have also heard adding chicken stock can extend the pesto and use a little less olive oil.

Libby said...

great feedback can you link the recipe? Thanks!