Monday, August 9, 2010

blog #95 Why I love the treadmill

Environment-
While I love running outside, the treadmill is in a consistent environment. You can’t make weather excuses for skipping a workout with the treadmill. And some treadmills even have TVs for entertainment distraction.

Consistency-
Unlike outside where the terrain can be different, the treadmill is always a soft band that your shoes (and knees) are familiar with.

Control-
You set the pace (fast or slow) and incline (steep or just one percent). Outside you can do stadium runs up and down stairs (my favorite) or flat-land runs, but the treadmill allows you to manipulate a multi-faceted training approach all in one machine without scheduling a creative trail run.

Cross training-
The treadmill isn’t just for weight loss. If you utilize all functionalities of the treadmill, you can burn fat, but you can also preserve muscle (by walking/brisk jogging at an incline). One of my favorite ways to use the treadmill is with circuit training. I have some of my clients use the treadmill for a couple minutes then alternate to other exercises to keep heart rates up, which builds endurance.

Beginner plan for utilizing the treadmill in a circuit (an example):

  •       Plank for 30 to 60 seconds
  •       Slow squats with body weight for 1.5 minutes
  •       Push ups on toes until body fails, then on knees for 1.5 minutes
  •       2 minutes of brisk walking (3.8 to 4.0 MPH) on eight percent incline
  •    1 minute of jogging on one-percent incline at 6.5 MPH

      2 comments:

      Unknown said...

      This seems like an awesome circuit! I'm going to try it tonight and see how it goes.

      Treadmill Guy said...

      Great work on the treadmill. I often train on the treadmill using similar techniques. Most of what I do is circuit training. The treadmill allows me to stay in the idea heart rate zone without going over.

      Treadmill Guy