Saturday, May 22, 2010

blog #81 Using meat as a condiment

I do not advocate any one particular diet because, much like workouts, diets will depend on individual needs. I don’t preach vegetarianism, but I do recommend an adequate intake of fruits and veggies every day. The professor of my Medical Nutrition course this past semester was part of this film titled "Food fo the Fight."
A quote that caught my attention from the film was “meat should be eaten as a condiment.”
I thought that was fantastic advice! I never tell clients or friends that they HAVE TO give up something that they love. Instead of deleting something, I recommend curtailing portions. For example, instead of sloshing 4 tablespoons of cream in your coffee, measure out 1 or 2 tablespoons. Taking control of your health and wellness is about moderation, dedication, and consistency.

Lean sources of protein are highly recommended, but if you are eating lots of fried or highly fat-saturated meat choices, maybe you can start by limiting your consumption or taking note of how much and how often you elect to eat foods that are less lean or nutritious.


Start with small goals and objectives
Goal: to lower saturated fat intake.
Objective: Count portions per day, count portions per week, substitute saturated fatty options like hot dogs for lean sources or just ….have a bite. Therefore, think of meat as a condiment. So what condiments do you use? I use mustard and hummus often with my veggies as a dip. So if I were to treat meat as I do hummus, I would only consume a small amount…say, an ounce. 

Another way to monitor portions is the “plate method.” Think of three-quarters of your dinner plate’s contents as being of plant origin and one-quarter animal sources.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really like this idea! I feel that as I progressively read your blog and thus continue to tweak my diet to being more optimal, my desire for meat has decreased. Not to say that I can't go for a nice grilled chicken breast or baked pork chop every once in a while but when I do eat meat, I'm satisfied with a smaller portion.

To think of the 3/4 of your plate ratio as a way to plan meals is fantastic! It makes me realize that I still don't eat enough fruits and vegetables... but I find that it's not always an easy task.

Do you have any tips for getting all those fresh little guys into your every day diet?

Thanks <3

Libby said...

yes I have some tips and I will post about that topic within the next week or so; thanks so much for the comments/feedback jess!