Monday, May 17, 2010

blog# 80 shopping aisles and placement: Where are all the whole grains??

When speaking with a classmate/friend Sahara she said to me awhile back:

“The grocery store is intimidating.”

I guess that depends on where and what you shop for.

I thought a great deal about her comment and I decided to document my weekend grocery store trip to Fairway market in the Upper West Side.

I wonder: Why are all the whole grains hidden? At this market and others, I notice that the eye-level foods are much more heavily processes and higher in sugar content than the foods placed closer to the floor. In order to photograph Old-Fashioned oats, I had to crouch down because that’s where they’d hidden them! Without having nutritional knowledge about food processing levels and sugar content, it is easy to feel intimidated and pick the first thing you see.

The instant oats found at eye level are not as good as Old-Fashioned oats because there is more processing needed to make them “instant.” As I’ve written about before, it’s healthier to eat slow-cooked oats that are not flavored. Flavor them yourself with creative ideas like cinnamon, nuts, peanut butter (but measure!)

Have more ideas? Let me know.

General tips that I follow in grocery stores:
  • Stick with the outside aisles. (That’s where they put fresh foods like produce.)
  • Avoid last-minute purchases
  • Don’t shop hungry. (We have all done this and ended up paying/buying more--and choosing more unhealthy foods!)
  • Bring a list. (I recommend keeping a digital list on your cell phone so that you don’t forget it.) 
  • Look down and around for whole grains. (Sometimes they are less visible then processed ones.)


Notice in these pictures that the grains with the least amount of processing are more toward the floor. The eye level foods have more sugar...read labels, look around and shop smartly!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I definitely agree! It seems like they put what sells better at eye level and unfortunately for the US it doesn't seem to be whole grains.. But I think this is changing as people start realizing that it's time to be healthy and avoid the health problems caused by obesity and poor diet.

Back to whole grains though.. I find myself at the bread wall reading label after label trying to figure out which one has the most fiber, the most grains and the least calories. It's not easy Libby. Do you have any input of which bread wins out? Should I go with the 12 grain, the Whole Wheat or the the 'not as tasty' Double Fiber... Besides the bread I just need to start eating less refined grains, like steel cut oats (if I can find the secret spot where Fry's supermarket hides them that is)

Last question.. what whole grains should I look for besides oatmeal and brown rice? They are really the only two I can think of.. Thanks for the info!!

Unknown said...

So, after this post I stumbled upon a recipe that used Wheat Berries as a whole grain... I tried them and am defiantly a fan. They take about an hour to boil and have this kinda 'pop' when you bite into them with have a soft chewy texture. They are really inexpensive and I think that any whole food-type store should carry them.

Just something to pass on!