Friday, October 8, 2010

blog #106 Dietetic Internships and my future-The process to becoming a Registered Dietitian


The process to becoming a Registered Dietitian is lengthy. Here's my status:


I am excited to graduate in less then three months from Hunter College in New York City! Upon completion of my B.S. in Nutritional Science my next course of is applying for the Dietetic Internship to then become qualified as a licensed Registered Dietitian (R.D.)


Because I love learning SO MUCH I am first applying for my Masters In Clinical Nutrition At New York University. Upon acceptance to the Master Program the internship will be included in my studies (after another application and acceptance process.) Both the Dietetic Internship and Masters Program are highly, highly competitive.

What is a Dietetic Internship (DI)?

It is a CADE-accredited supervised practice program at a healthcare facility, community agency, or a foodservice corporation, or combined with undergraduate or graduate studies.

To apply to a DI, individuals must complete at least a bachelor's degree and CADE-approved coursework requirements (Didactic Program in Dietetics). A DI must provide at least 1200 hours of supervised practice and is usually completed in 6-24 months depending on the availability of a part-time schedule or requirement of graduate credit. Individuals completing the program who are verified by the program director are eligible to write the CDR registration examination for dietitians.

Appointments to DIs are awarded on a competitive basis and most use a national computer matching process. Programs not participating in computer matching accept applications only from individuals employed by the sponsoring organization. Prospective applicants must contact program directors for current information, including application deadline dates. Programs will provide application forms and detailed information on program requirements, tuition, and financial aid upon request.

How do I know which Dietetic Internship is right for me?
Location
Cost
Program Emphasis
Length of Program
Combined with graduate program
Start Date

No comments: