Monday, May 31, 2010

blog #83 My calves hurt

A couple weeks ago, my calves were burning up like crazy from running and jumping a bit more then usual. I was in so much pain and it seemed like no matter what I did, I was debilitated. I decided to reach out to my community and ask people what to do. I collected some tips and have categorized them into both free/cheap and non-free tips/tricks.

While stretching your calves can be a good way to elongate the muscles, it is somewhat limiting because self-stretching will only hit the superficial (or outside portion) of the muscle. To hit the deep muscles, you need to be more creative.

I asked a massage therapist and she said that the “tennis ball approach” is a good way to alleviate tension (but it can hurt!). Foam rolling is good, too, as well as getting professional massages.

check out the "tennis ball approach"


Free/Cheap
$-$$$
Self-massage
Tennis ball approach
Calf stretches
Downward-facing dog
Soak calves in warm water for 15 minutes
Professional massage (my fave option)
Foam rolling (most foam rollers start at about $20 dollars, and most gyms have them)
A heating pad or hot water bottle



No comments: