Friday, November 13, 2009

blog #35: theme dietary diseases: surviving the battle of Ciliac Disease



One of my best friends, Emily, is an inspiring, fun-loving, and humorous woman who enjoys life to the fullest. Emily has celiac disease but she doesn't let this stop her from leading a normal life. In fact, Emily makes the best of every situation by learning more about food and her restrictions/limitations. Emily was diagnosed with this autoimmune disease as a child.

People with celiac disease have to eat a gluten-free diet, which requires a completely new approach to eating, in order to avoid wheat-containing foods entirely.

Celiac disease is genetic, meaning it runs in families. Sometimes the disease is triggered—or becomes active for the first time—after surgery, pregnancy, childbirth, viral infection, or severe emotional stress.

People with celiac disease can eat a well-balanced diet with a variety of foods (but it’s not easy).



American Dietetic Association recommends these foods:



Allowed Foods
amaranth
arrowroot
buckwheat
cassava
corn
flax
Indian rice grass
Job’s tears
legumes
millet
nuts
potatoes
quinoa
rice
sago
seeds
sorghum
soy
tapioca
teff
wild rice
yucca
Foods To Avoid
wheat
  • including einkorn, emmer, spelt, kamut
  • wheat starch, wheat bran, wheat germ, cracked wheat, hydrolyzed wheat protein
barley
rye
triticale (a cross between wheat and rye)
Other Wheat Products
bromated flour
durum flour
enriched flour
farina
graham flour
phosphated flour
plain flour
self-rising flour
semolina
white flour
Processed Foods that May Contain Wheat, Barley, or Rye*
bouillon cubes
brown rice syrup
candy
chips/potato chips
cold cuts, hot dogs, salami, sausage
communion wafers
French fries
gravy
imitation fish
matzo
rice mixes
sauces
seasoned tortilla chips
self-basting turkey
soups
soy sauce
vegetables in sauce

* Most of these foods can be found gluten-free. When in doubt, check with the food manufacturer.



In my Advanced Nutrition class, we are learning the effects of celiac disease on a cellular level, which if untreated can lead to lymphoma (a form of cancer). A gluten-free diet is essential, because gluten causes a problematic immune reaction in the small intestine. This reaction results in damage to the inner surface of the small intestine and an inability to absorb certain nutrients from food.

Emily has to follow a gluten-free diet in order to be healthy.

Not following the diet can lead to:
·         Damage to her small intestine
·         Bone loss
·         Abdominal pain
·         Diarrhea
·         Anemia
·         Vitamin deficiencies
·         Gastrointestinal cancer (especially lymphoma)

Some people with this disease refuse to follow the diet and still eat cakes and other products with gluten. The consequences of eating against what is tolerated will lead to escalation of the disease.

YOU DONT WANT THIS, SO EAT WHAT YOU CAN TOLERATE!

Emily makes the best of her situation by being extremely healthy, cooking her meals, and being extremely active. She swims religiously and cross-trains by running and lifting weights most days of the week. Emily is finishing culinary school to be a professional chef and she even works in a restaurant in Arizona. She doesn't let her disease get her down.



Emily is a truly exceptional woman; despite her autoimmune disease, she sets the bar high for how to be healthy and understand what to consume (and why). I hope that more people with this disease will understand that they, too, can lead normal lives by adjusting their dietary intake to healthy non-gluten foods just like Emily.

1 comment:

Extremely Average In AZ said...

Hey Libby Followers, Emily here:
I just want to say first, thank you to Libby for publicizing this dietary problem, and second that I can vouch for the fact that the disease and diet can be difficult to live with. As a culinary student, I have to cross-train in baking and pastry which requires me to taste the foods to evaluate the correct texture and flavor of the food so that I know how to do it correctly. I definitely went through that "what's the worst that could happen?" phase where trying a bit of what I had produced became routine because I was convinced that the amounts I was consuming were too minimal to have a toll on me. This definitely backfires! It took about a month, but I began to feel extremely sluggish, my stomach was constantly in knots, and I suffered from instense leg cramps in the middle of the night. I WAS SICK! It takes awhile to "cleanse" the body, but it's well worth it, and now I make time to work out for at least 90 minutes everyday and I feel strong and healthy. I'm far from the perfect example of health because I LOVE really wonderfully prepared, rich food. I think that the experience of eating something delicious can almost become a religious experience. I just take it in moderation and try my darndest to stay gluten-free!:) Please inquire with Libby if you need recipe suggestions and I will provide her with some that are celiac and chef-approved! She has many up her sleeve that she could share as she is quite the accomplished cook herself (trust me, she is my best friend and I have had the pleasure).
Much Love,
<3Emily